Friday, May 30, 2014

A Lovely Year of Finishes....MAYbe I got it done!

A Lovely Year of Finishes A Lovely Year of Finishes
Three short days ago I was expecting to write a post full of lame excuses about why I didn't get my May project done......

Then a whiny inner voice got the better of me, and I got to work on it!

The top was already done in 2012, so I don't know why I had such a hard time getting this little quilt finished.. It is made with vintage striped sheets, a few solids, and is a disappearing 9 patch pattern.

I had this cotton/poly sheet purchased quite a while ago for another project, I think. So, I washed it and used it as the backing.
The leaves inspired the quilting, and I remember seeing a FMQ pattern somewhere on a blog, and stored it in my tiny brain!


 I Love, love this FMQ pattern! It is very forgiving, and you can easily get out of any corner you find yourself in by just adding some leaf vines or pebbles! The only time I broke thread was when the bobbin ran out!
I used my favourite Aurifil thread #2021 in the 50wt.
I really like the kind of squared off flower petals too. This is definitely one I will use again.
I wish I could remember where I saw it, to give credit...I really should write that stuff down!
I can lead you to some FMQ tutorials from Lori Kennedy @ The Inbox Jaunt..... seriously, she has some amazing, detailed, and fun tutorials.
Go check them out! the turtle!!!!

After squaring it up, I decided to try the rounded corner approach for the binding. I did cut the binding on the bias, which takes no longer than regular cutting.
No mitered corners is a really nice change!
I don't know what the fabric is, just something taking up space in my much too cluttered stash! It definitely has a vintage look to it, so it seemed appropriate for this quilt. 

So, here it is all finished, and I must admit, looking kinda pretty!
I think I like it after all!
Measures 45"x54"

And, of course, the obligatory cat on quilt photo!
I don't know why it is always Kissa and not Sheriti, but she is very photogenic!
Well, that's it for today. 
I have to start thinking about my June goal!

9 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Well done my friend!

And I love your cat. I've never seen one with leopard spots before. She looks like she is a great hugger.

Taryn V. said...

It is beautiful! I love the colors and how you used the striped fabric to enhance the design. The rounded corners were a great choice with this square based design!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a beautiful finish. Your quilting looks great and the colours are lovely :)

Carla said...

It's wonderful! What's not to like. That might be a free motion pattern I can actually do : )

Karen said...

Well done on the finish. It was well worth it.

Erica said...

Lovely quilt, and that quilting is really nice. I have done one quilt with rounded corners and I thought that not having to do mitered corners was definitely worth the extra work of making bias binding!

CitricSugar said...

Looks beautiful, Patti! I love that free-motion.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Well done on a lovely finish x

Heather D. said...

Lovely job Patti! Your FMQ is great.

9 comments:

Cindy Sharp said...

Well done my friend!

And I love your cat. I've never seen one with leopard spots before. She looks like she is a great hugger.

Taryn V. said...

It is beautiful! I love the colors and how you used the striped fabric to enhance the design. The rounded corners were a great choice with this square based design!

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

This is a beautiful finish. Your quilting looks great and the colours are lovely :)

Carla said...

It's wonderful! What's not to like. That might be a free motion pattern I can actually do : )

Karen said...

Well done on the finish. It was well worth it.

Erica said...

Lovely quilt, and that quilting is really nice. I have done one quilt with rounded corners and I thought that not having to do mitered corners was definitely worth the extra work of making bias binding!

CitricSugar said...

Looks beautiful, Patti! I love that free-motion.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Well done on a lovely finish x

Heather D. said...

Lovely job Patti! Your FMQ is great.